Monday, March 12, 2007

Shopaholic And Baby

Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic)I love the Shopaholic series. Or at least I used to. The books follow a woman who loves to shops, she's a bit flaky, but fun and carefree. And now she's having a baby. My problem with this book is that I felt like the character hadn't grown up any. After moving from London to New York, getting married, moving back to London, finding out that she has a lost sister, and now is having a baby, clearly which happened over a number of years, the character is still written as she was in the first book. After going through all these changes, I'd hope that a person no longer thinks like a 25 year old who loves to shop, so an actual adult. It bothered me. It was like reading about Jessica Simpson who comes off as a dumb blonde. Surely parenthood would straighten her up a bit. And the book, which was suppose to be funny, had quite a few dramatic bits. Her husband's ex girlfriend comes back and tells Becky that she and her hubby are having an affair. The house they were suppose to buy gets sold to someone else, etc. All while being pregnant. It just didn't seem really realistic. So now I'm wondering if I've matured in my reading, and will no longer like the previous books. I'm gonna have to read them again. My advice is to read the first book Confessions of a Shopaholic. And go in order.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this, I love the shopaholic series.
eli