Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sharp Objects


I don't usually read thrillers. I stick to the friendly chick lit and funny mysteries. But there was something about this book that always caught my eye when I saw it at the bookstore, so I finally just checked it out from the library. I was very disturbed by it by the end of the first chapter, but it's written in a way that makes you want to keep reading.

Camille is a Chicago reporter who gets assigned to go back to her hometown to cover some murders that have happened to two little girls. Her boss thinks that going back home will help her after her recent stay at a mental hospital. Camille likes to cut words into her body. Going home brings back some dark memories for her and while there is uncovers some dark secrets about her mother.

It kind of reminded me of like a really twisted episode of Law & Order or one of those kind of shows. Some parts are kind of graphic, so if you like fluffy stuff, this isn't the book for you. Stephen King gave it a good review, and that was my first sign that this was going to be different than my normal reads. But I liked it, so maybe I'll read more thrillers.

No comments: