Monday, November 9, 2009

Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities


OMG! There's your review.

Just kidding. Back in 2002-2003ish MTV had a TV show called Sorority Life. I watched it and wanted to join a sorority. Not really sure why, maybe because I thought that's what all the cool girls do, or maybe I wanted to make friends and meet guys. Whatever the reason, clearly I never did, because frankly, I didn't really care enough to actually do anything that one has to do in order to join. I was much more distracted by hanging out with friends, working, and having fun. So when I found this book in my sister's car I was interested to read it, because don't we all secretly want to know what goes on behind closed doors. After reading this, I kind of wish I had never wondered, because this was no doubt the most shocking book I think I've read so far. Mostly because it's nonfiction. Through out the book I had to keep reminding myself that it was nonfiction because I could not believe people would treat people like this.

The author picked four girls to follow during a school year and their sorority life. All these girls and their 'sisters' do is drink, do drugs, have sex, talk about their boobs, talk about how they hate the sorority, and talk about how they love the sorority. Half the book felt like is should of been on daytime TV following Days of Our Lives. I would never last in a sorority because A.) I don't like to be bossed around B.) I don't like sharing a room and a bathroom with 100 other girls C.) I'm not a size 4 with clear skin and silky hair and D.) Having sex with a ton of guys and drinking to much and doing drugs is not my think. I actually have respect for myself.

I know a sorority is suppose to be a place where you can make friends and such, but really, after reading this, they kind of seem like a cult. Never really thought of that before. They tell you how to look and how to act and basically don't be yourself, because if you are, then they don't want you. You don't fit the image.

There's lots of facts in this book, so at times it felt like reading a boring newspaper article. It was informative, how some places won't let you in their house if you aren't white, and there's stories of hazing, which just shocked the hell out of me. Why in the world would you want to be part of a group that would make you take off your shirt and bra so that they arr age you in a line by size of your boobs. Ew. The author even asked some girls why they would want to join a house after they were treated so badly and for the most part their answer was 'because we want a place where we can belong'. That's insane. It's pretty common for girls to get tipsy before going out drinking. They call it pre-gaming. And a few girls have actually been raped. One girl got so drunk one night and she even invited the guy who raped her to come over and have sex. That's sick.

This is a must read of anyone who has a daughter who wants to join a sorority. Force your daughter to read this and hopefully she will change her mind. Hopefully by the time any of kids go to college, the Greek system will have cleaned up their acts. But as the author noted, they are still doing thing that they did 40 years earlier, so maybe not. Personally, I think they should just all be shut down. Because with every girl who has a good experience in the house, there's another who had a shitty one and will be scarred.

But that's just my opinion.

No comments: