Monday, January 3, 2011

Deenie


"Judy Blume should've prepared me for that."

I totally love that line from the movie Easy A, and because of it I was going to read Judy Blume's books. Then I went to the library to see what they had and this was the only one that looked interesting.

I've never read a book about a character who had scoliosis, so this was an interesting read. It's about Deenie who's in 7th grade and her mother really wants her to be a model. But Deenie isn't so sure she wants to be one, then one day her gym teacher suggests that she go see a doctor because she noticed that Deenie's spine isn't straight. Turns out Deenie has scoliosis and has to wear a brace. When you are 13 years old, wearing a brace is like the most horrible thing that could happen to you. Heck, I'm 29 and could only imagine how embarrassed I'd be if I had to wear one.

It was an informative book, but the mother really kind of made me mad. She kind of made Deenie feel like it was her fault that her spine wasn't straight and is going to ruin the modeling career that she never wanted. I liked that the guy she had a crush on liked her as well even after she had to wear the brace. I don't think that many teenage boys would be able to look past that. She could've left out the part about Deenie 'touching herself'. 13 seems like a young age to start doing that

No comments: