Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Future of Love


It always feels good to finally finish reading a book that I started months ago. I really think I got this last Spring, read a few chapters than got distracted by something else. It wasn't a bad book, when I started reading it again I kept at it, mostly I think to see how it would end. Everyone in the book seems to be cheating on each other, and oddly enough, I actually didn't disapprove of them cheating, because the person who they were married to seemed like a bitch, and I was happy when one of them got what she deserved at the end (death).

The story follows the lives of about 6 or so people who are all interlocked with each other, and how the events of the September 11 attacks changed the way they looked at life and love for them. The attacks didn't affect me because I live no where near NYC, but everyone in this book seemed to take it as a sign that it was time to change their lives. Leave their wife and child for their mistress, leave their mistress for their wife. Try to work things out with the cheating husband. It really made me wonder if this is how people in New York thought about things when the event happened. Like it was a sign that they should start living a life that they want instead of the life that they currently had. There was really only one character that I really liked, the mom, and was happy when she got her happy ending. I felt like she deserved it.

So yeah, it wasn't bad, but it didn't touch me like I felt it would. There were sometimes when I would get a little confused because there are so many characters in it, and it seemed a bit wordy at parts, but I guess it does make you take another look at the relationship that you have with your partner.

So what is the future of love? I think it's whatever you make of it.

No comments: