Friday, September 10, 2010

Juliet


I've never been a fan of Romeo and Juliet. Someone killing themselves because the one they love is dead just isn't realistic. It's not that I don't find it romantic. Crazy maybe, but I guess every girl wants to believe that there is a guy who couldn't stand to live life without her.

I've never read the play, so I really don't know how much of this actually takes place in Shakespeare's work. I read somewhere that this book is like The DaVinci Code for girls. Maybe because there's romance involved, but there is a mystery too. Only, how much of this is really true, I don't know.

Julie Jones is a pretty boring 25 year old girl. Then one day her Aunt Rose dies and leaves her a letter, a passport, a key, and a quest. Julie who finds out that her real name is Giulietta Tolomei and is sent to Siena, Italy to uncover the mystery of what really happened to her parents, and find a treasure. Once she gets there she learns that her family and another family are a bit at war with each other. Much like in Romeo and Juliet. There is danger lurking around every corner and no one she should really trust. After all, when it comes to a 'treasure' everyone wants it.

There were lots of twists in this book, maybe it keep the reader interested. It was a good book. It tells the story of Julie, but it also tells the story of Romeo and Giulietta from 1340 and how they met, fell in love, and died. Even though I liked it, I got a little annoyed with how Julie's life basically was always based on this darn play. This is just proof that reading Shakespeare can get you into trouble.

I personally think that Juliet was a diva and Romeo was an idiot.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I read this: http://www.amazon.com/Julie-Romeo-Jeanne-Ray/dp/0451409973 a few years ago, it sounds like the book you reviewed, except in this on the main characters are in their 60's, and there isn't a treasure hunt. I really like this one so I will probably read the one you wrote about. Isn't the movie Letters to Juliet based on a book that is similar to Shakespeare's play too?