Monday, September 27, 2010

The Scarlet Letter


I wanted to read this book because I wanted to see the new movie Easy A which is like a teenage version of this story. The movie was better.

I'm not a fan of the classics, because the writing is hard for me to follow. While I'm sure this was a great book, when none of it makes sense, it was difficult for me to focus on it.

Basically, Hester got busy out of wedlock and had a baby, so everyone tags her as a adultery, and she had to walk around with a big red A on her clothes. What I didn't understand is why she had to continue to wear the darn thing for like the rest of her life. Isn't have a little girl running around proof enough that she did something she shouldn't? What annoyed me the most is how the author mentioned way to many times that she had a scarlet A on her breast. Yeah, we kind of figured that out from the title, no need to keep reminding us. I don't know why she just didn't take it off after a few years. Or why she didn't just move to someplace where she could start new.

"A is for Awesome!"

No comments: