Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Shopgirl

SHOPGIRL: A NOVELLAI remember years ago when this book came out that my roomie at the time had bought it and I read a few pages, but never finished it for whatever reason. So I think that I had it stuck in my head that it was a boring book and that's why I never picked it up over the years. They made a movie out of it, and recently when I was on Netflix.com I saw it and I think that's what made me want to read it again. Its a short book and reads pretty fast, but I cannot figure out what the point of it is. Mirabelle works at the glove department in a department store, has a simple life, chills at home with her cats and books (sounds like me, minus the job). Then one day an older man buys a pair of gloves from her and ends up sending them to her, asking her out. She says yes. This guy is like 20 years older than her. What is with people dating people so much older than them. I don't get it. So they start dating. He's rich, she's poor. He doesn't want a serious relationship, she doesn't know what she wants. That's really about it. Toss in a guy her age who has a crush on her, but isn't there for most of the book. I don't understand why this is such a best seller. Because it was written by Steve Martin the actor? I'm curious to see how the movie goes. Someone else read this and let me know what you thought of it. I apparently missed something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this book a few year ago. I must re- read it again and see what I think about it now.

Elisa