Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Help



I don't usually read long books, I have a short attention span and most books really don't need 500 pages to tell a story. But this one felt about right. There was definitely enough going on to keep you reading and not feel that it was to long. I also don't usually read books that are about something that angers me. I will never understand why people are racist. Parts of this book really got me worked up, because that's pretty much what its about. A white girl Miss Skeeter has a dream to become a writer and one day decides that its time that people hear the stories of the black women who work in white people's homes. So it follows the lives of Skeeter, Minny, and Aibileen during the time that they are trying to put this book together. I don't get the white women in this book. They'll let black people raise their children because they are to lazy to do it themselves, but they won't let them use the same toilet as they do. They cook your dinners dumb ass! If they were going to spread black people cooties, having them touch your food is a better way for them to do it than using your potty. It's stupid. And did it ever occur to people that if we just treated people equally from the start that this whole racism thing could probably have been avoided? OK, that's a rant for a different time. But this was a good book and I'm looking forward to see the movie when it comes out this summer.

No comments: